Wednesday, January 28, 2009

13 Magnificent Days in Mexico City

Jim Flood (WRI Representative to Mexico) and I travelled to Mexico City on Jan 6. I stayed until the 19th, and every minute was a blessing to us both. I attended 6 home groups, 4 worship services, one worship team practice, and Regalo de Reyes (their version of Birthday Party for Jesus). I did a lot of singing, some teaching and training, a whole lot of praising the Lord and more. Our purpose was to visit and evaluate ministries, pray for and encourage as many folks as possible, and to make plans for 2009. God filled our time and our hearts with blessings galore...too many to share here. This is a long one...but be patient...lots of pictures and a few words. In Ocotal, a mountain community, we crossed over this "little ditch" and into the amazing world of an active, fully alive cell group; 30 people meeting in a small two room house, praising the Lord, sharing Scripture and testimonies of deliverance and salvation. Lots of worship, lots of tears, lots of laughter...a true slice of heaven!



In various small groups, we saw people sharing the gospel freely with newcomers before and after (several gave their lives to Christ!), children being led in impromptu worship, and we had awesome fellowship with our new friends in Christ. They are on fire to share the love of Jesus with others!





Regalo de Reyes...a party to celebrate the three kings giving gifts to Jesus, with a room full of specially invited children and families from the community. Many hear the gospel of salvation in Christ alone for the first time, presented in many creative and fun ways.
What would a party be without some clowns?


Some of the 70+ children blessed by the gift bags full of special treasures....
















































Youth, youth, youth everywhere, being formed into followers of Christ and leaders for the future!




A special treat for us was getting to know and love David and Ramiro's mother and father from El Salvador and brother Mike from Cancun. Dr. Martinez was an ob/gyn for 35 years, but has always preached the gospel, and at 75 years old preached 20 times during a month's visit to Mexico City. Many lives were changed forever. What a privilege to know such brothers and sisters in Christ. By the way, Mike Martinez is a fulltime worship and music leader in his church. He invited me several times to come and teach there...in Cancun (free lodging and diving lessons!). So, how do I explain the need to do that to my supporters?

San Lorenzo church continues to flourish. Jim Flood loves the Mexican people and they love him. It was a pleasure traveling with him. We prayed for the patriarch and head elder, Jose Huerta who has been struggling with his health. He is a business man greatly used by God to plant churches!
Ramiro and I did several story songs. He is an awesome translator, and as much of a ham as I am! I can't speak Spanish, but I can read it and sing my part (with "the boys in the band")...
We do a lot of serious stuff on these trips, but we also have fun when we can. Missionary kids and animals just love us!





















"Help, I'm surrounded by crazy Americans!!!!"


And that is just a small slice of our experience. Thanks to all for you prayers and gifts. God accomplished a lot in and through all of us during those 19 days. There is much work to do in Mexico City, churches to plant, many disciples to make. Only around 5% of 25 million are evangelical Christians. With your help, faithful church planters and their congregations can and will go forward in faith. God is just getting started! KEEP READING...there's more...

No comments: