Tuesday, August 5, 2008

BRAZIL Bookshelves, Blessings and More...

Somewhere during the preparation for my trip to Brazil, I remember thinking that someday I could be called home because of a family crisis. Little did I know this would be the time that would happen. I was to stay in Carpina from June 24 to July 22 in order to help Kenny Smith build cabinets, participate in and observe the Medical Team (8 folks from Indiana with Dr. Taylor), English Camp, a Pastor's Conference (with Hubert Nolen and Paul Romoser from Brookville Road Community Church in east Indianapolis), and the performances of "Shout" by 30+ youth from BRCC, as well as spend extra time with worship leaders and musicians. God had other plans for me, and I'm just thankful for the 11 days I did have in northeastern Brazil. We were truly blessed again in every way to partner with this dynamic team of church planters and brothers and sisters in Christ.Kenny and Ricardo once again did their thing to get us the best lumber for the job.







A good result takes good planning (and an expert Brazilian electrician).



Our shop this time was the room right next door to where we slept. Not very big, and we needed every square inch once the sawdust began to fly. Notice the "oversize" plywood - all metric measurements.We always try to raise enough money for Ricardo and others to have some new tools when we leave. He had just recently been installing some baseboard out of 3' pieces of super-hard wood, cutting each one my hand. He's smiling, and doesn't even know yet how much easier his life will be with a new Makita chop saw!

I love this picture of my friend, Kenny Smith. I was disappointed with it at first until I really stopped and looked at it for awhile. He cares so much about doing the very best he can with the tools and abilities God has given him. He serves the Lord with his hands as well as his heart. There he is, doing what he has done thousands of times before, building his first face frame for a big job, a true craftsman, with the light of Christ and the power of God shining through his work and his life. Thanks, Kenny. God uses you in more ways than you realize.
The hardwood we used was very wet. Look at all that sawdust sticking to everything it touches.

Boca Louka (Crazy Mouth) is our favorite late-night spot for indescribable burgers with "everything but the kitchen sink" on them.
Steve Turner is World Renewal's Brazil Representative, a volunteer job that he takes on with great enthusiasm and great love for the people and ministry there. He spent nearly six weeks there this summer, all at his own expense. A true servant of the Lord. Sitting next to him is his son, Jeff who with his wife Lindsay are WRI missionaries in Brazil. Say a quick prayer for them...they continue to face Visa challenges.






What wonderful friends God has given us...guys like Roberto (on saw with Kenny, took over a lot of my responsibilities when I had to leave), Duda (a working dynamo), Ricardo (awesome church planter and man of God, as well as our fellow carpenter, translator and much, much more), and Neco (great bass/guitar player).
























When I left Brazil after 11 days, we had 14 multi-purpose storage units on casters waiting in the hallway for adjustable shelves, drawers, doors, handles and locks, and a paint job. After I left, they built 5 library shelf units, a portable library unit with display shelves, and 2 desks (complete with veneer tops) and a shelf unit for school administrators. And all in just another 8 working days!! Makes me tired just thinking about it. Way to go guys! The blessings I recieved in Brazil are too many to tell, and they just kept coming even as I traveled home during a difficult time. God got me out of Brazil on a very "ify" standby ticket. Then he supplied a seat all to myself right behind a bulkhead. Nobody saw me or even knew I was there for 10 hours. I needed that. It gave me a quiet, private place to grieve the loss of my father. In the middle of the long trip, I heard the pilot say something about the Amazon. I opened my window, and was totally blown away. Took about 30 pictures for the next 20 minutes. This is at 35,000 feet!! I learned from my dad to appreciate God's awesome creation. This view was a special gift to me at a very emotional time, and helped me so much to be prepared for the days ahead. I eventually went to sleep, but suddenly woke up and wondered where we were in the air. I opened my window and was once again taken by surprise realizing we were passing over the north end of South America. Another breathtaking view, and reassurance that God was with me and my family through it all!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS - They all make THE difference.


THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT - It means so much to us and to those who receive the results of your loving generosity, poured out in tangible ways.

No comments: