I was gone 10 days in early March on a construction trip to northern Mexico in the state of Coahuila. The adult team from Northridge Friends (Larry Sangals, Steve Sigley, LeRoy Willis, Mindy Sullivan, Wayne Dilts) plus 2 from Austin, Texas (Roger and Jonathan Dilts) went to do some prep work for Mid-America Friends Church Youth Spring Invasion. During the two weeks of Spring Break, 150 students and their leaders worked in 9 churches under the excellent direction of Matt Macy and Ralph Corbet. This annual ministry event has been happening for 15 years. I was privileged to be part of the first two Invasions (back then we called it "Mexico Invasion" until we realized maybe that wasn't the best word picture!), and then again 2 years ago. What a blessing to see what God has done over time. Coahuila is a home away from home for hundreds of us. My whole family has been deeply impacted by these mission trips.
Iglesia Amigos in Nueva Rosita (front and back). The second story of the Rosita church was added several years ago and each year Invasion teams have kept working to complete it (bottom floor is sanctuary only...no classroom space). Our adult team finished the sheet rock, hung doors and windows and started the dropped ceiling in a small kitchen, two large rooms, bathrooms and 4 small classrooms.
The happy pastors in their almost finished and much needed second story.
I spent most of my time finishing sheetrock in the classrooms and hanging exterior doors.
Anyone who has ever been to Rosita for Invasion knows all about Hugo and his wonderful food. We cannot speak to each other except through an interpreter, yet I also consider him a good friend. I say that because even when I had not seen him for 10 years, he greeted me warmly by name, and asked about each of my family members by name. I gave him a copy of The Purpose Driven Life, and he reciprocated with a Jugo's Veracruz shirt and hat. I pray the Lord will fill his life with the light and love of Jesus Christ.
Our team with Nueva Rosita pastors Sergio and Louisa Ayala
(with children Jael and Jeremias)
Iglesia Amigos in Nueva Rosita (front and back). The second story of the Rosita church was added several years ago and each year Invasion teams have kept working to complete it (bottom floor is sanctuary only...no classroom space). Our adult team finished the sheet rock, hung doors and windows and started the dropped ceiling in a small kitchen, two large rooms, bathrooms and 4 small classrooms.
The happy pastors in their almost finished and much needed second story.Notice the open walkway to each with a nice "view" to the walkway and street below.
I also helped frame in and mount this ceiling fan in the Agujita church.
+038.jpg)
Of course, Zach made it to Mexico, too with two very important additions. Adam Monaghan supplied translation as I sang, and Zach danced with Jael. I was Adam's pastor when he was a small boy. What a blessing to do a bilingual "duet" with him in Mexico!!
Matt Macy, Ralph Corbet and Samuel Vasquez sponsored a homemade ice-cream party and meeting for the Mexican pastors and spouses to finish details before 150 people arrived the next week. What a great team God has assembled...all the right gifts needed and used at just the right times...Mexicans and Americans...young and old...construction workers and VBS leaders...pre-Christians, baby Christians and mature followers of Christ...for 15 years! Samuel (with wife Christina) is the Superintendent of the Coahuila churches and also pastor of the Agujita congregation he planted. Our team started installation of a drop ceiling there.
Below are 6 of the nine pastoral couples, along with Samuel's parents Felipe and Suzy Vasquez (second from the right) who planted the Nueva Rosita church 20+ years ago. Momentum is growing, and new missions have been started in just the last two years, with plans for more.
One of the many ways God blesses those who go on short-term mission trips is through relationships. Two years ago a 15 year old Mexican boy named Johnatan was my guide through the windy roads of Nueva Rosita both morning and night as we dropped off and picked up people from 7 different houses. We could barely communicate but became good friends. His family (Juan, Maria, Samantha and Brandon) requested me to stay with them this March. It was my great privilege to spend a week with these precious people. Brandon gave up his bed for me while he and Johnatan slept together on a twin. When the Mexicans tell you that their house is your house, they really mean it. They love to share what they do have with others.
I also helped frame in and mount this ceiling fan in the Agujita church.+038.jpg)
Of course, Zach made it to Mexico, too with two very important additions. Adam Monaghan supplied translation as I sang, and Zach danced with Jael. I was Adam's pastor when he was a small boy. What a blessing to do a bilingual "duet" with him in Mexico!!
Matt Macy, Ralph Corbet and Samuel Vasquez sponsored a homemade ice-cream party and meeting for the Mexican pastors and spouses to finish details before 150 people arrived the next week. What a great team God has assembled...all the right gifts needed and used at just the right times...Mexicans and Americans...young and old...construction workers and VBS leaders...pre-Christians, baby Christians and mature followers of Christ...for 15 years! Samuel (with wife Christina) is the Superintendent of the Coahuila churches and also pastor of the Agujita congregation he planted. Our team started installation of a drop ceiling there.
Anyone who has ever been to Rosita for Invasion knows all about Hugo and his wonderful food. We cannot speak to each other except through an interpreter, yet I also consider him a good friend. I say that because even when I had not seen him for 10 years, he greeted me warmly by name, and asked about each of my family members by name. I gave him a copy of The Purpose Driven Life, and he reciprocated with a Jugo's Veracruz shirt and hat. I pray the Lord will fill his life with the light and love of Jesus Christ. +068.jpg)


1 comment:
Frank-
Whenever I think of you I think of the profound effect you've had on my life. Just the other day we passed the Walgreens on Evans and Monaco and I had to explain to Tina that was once the Rainbow Music Hall where you introduced us to Phil Keaggy about thir...I mean...a long time ago. I know that God continues to touch the lives of many people through you and I thank Him for sharing you with me.
Zac Bousman(p23backstep@yahoo.com)
Post a Comment