Wednesday, June 20, 2007

HAITI MAY 2007

I spent a little over a week in Haiti in May. My main objective was to meet leaders, to learn about our ministries there and to observe a discipleship training conference for women. When I arrived, I discovered I was listed as the worship leader for 23 women! This was my first visit to Haiti, I didn't know one word of Creole, and the women spoke little if any English. But, God provided a way (and even a guitar!) Two young worship leaders helped me translate 2 songs into Creole, and in exchange I taught them some songs in English. We had a ball!
At the conference we sang a wonderful mixture of Creole and English hymns and choruses, worshipped, and danced, and shouted and clapped! They led me as much as I led them. What a blessing. They wanted me to promise I'd return for more of the same, along with training and teaching in music and worship. I told them, "you pray and I will pray, and if God wants me here, I will come back."
I took over 500 pictures in Haiti. I wish I could show them all, because most have a great "God story" to tell. I've settled instead on a top ten. I hope they give you a small idea of what I experienced. God is at work among these precious people, and they greatly appreciate everyone who made the conference possible (including the individual whose gift covered all the expenses for each of these women to attend).

No comments: